Friday, January 19, 2007

Ernst Haas: Color/ Black and White Photographs



“Write Soon” by Ernst Haas
I really thought this black and white picture was very beautiful. There is a lot of emotion and depth in the picture. It shows a couple on a train platform saying their goodbyes. I like the fact that there is a lot of mystery to picture. The viewer doesn’t know how long the man is going to be gone, or even if it is the man that’s leaving. Either way you can see the tears and emotion in the woman’s face as she hugs her lover. I don’t think that this picture would work very well in color. I really like the picture has a vintage feel plus I think the picture would be less effective. There is also some interesting framing going on in this picture as the couple is being framed by the darkness around them.



“Nature and Machine”
This picture could only be done in color; hands down, no question. The color in this photograph is stunning. I have absolutely no knowledge of cars so I’m not going to even attempt to name this car, but I do love that it is a beautiful blue vintage car in front of a gorgeous blue sky. Normally blue on blue wouldn’t work very well, but these two blues compliment each other very nicely. I also like the title and how it describes the photo. It really captures that this solitary car is in the middle of a desert. The slight angle of the ground as well as the car not being quite in the center makes the image more interesting.

This photo is much different than “Write Soon”. This photo is full of color and happy emotion while the other is very dark and poignant. Neither one of these pictures would work very well as their opposites, but they have a life of their own just how they are.

No comments: